Pages

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Pushing my comfort level in Marrakech

Apologies for not updating sooner; Morocco ended up being a whirlwind. Two days to see the city probably would have been enough, but when combined with meeting new people and socializing, it felt a little chaotic...but in a good way. 

The riad experience was amazing; you are treated like family by the owners, and most of the guests hang out in a central open-air courtyard talking, drinking mint tea, and smoking shisha. We had a really fun group of twenty-somethings from all over the world: Canada, Brazil, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, Slovokia, and the US. We all had dinner together both nights I was there and stayed up talking and laughing far later than I should have when I had to catch a 8:00 flight back to Madrid. Two Canadian women from Quebec I befriended just happen to be in Santiago de Compostela around the same time I'll be passing through on the camino, so we're hoping to meet up again while all of us are in the same city (but on a different continent this time!).   

One of the most unique experiences was being invited to a hamam by Rasheeta, the "riad mom" while I was there. Three other girls and I accompanied two Moroccan women to the local bath house where everyone in the community visits once a week for a deep cleaning and exfoliation. The experience was unlike anything I've ever been exposed to...the closest thing I can equate it to would be going to a spa where everyone in your neighborhood visits once a week and performs the treatments themselves with black soap and a special mitt that sloughs skin like you would not believe. It also offered a really unique glimpse into the relationships between women in Morocco. 

One of my favorite parts of traveling is getting to know the culture through their food. Morrocan food is phenomenal: tanjeens, koufta, couscous, mint tea, freshly squeezed orange juice, kababs...yum. Good thing my next stop is the camino--I have some extra calories to burn.

Between the incredibly forward advances from men, 97 degree heat, and cultural differences, Marrakech really pushed me out of my comfort zone. I don't think I'd last long here, but I'm so glad I decided to add this leg to my trip. It has been both an eye-opening and humbling experience.

Now I'm off to catch a train to Leon--Onward to the camino! I'm looking forward to a less hectic pace of traveling, getting out of urban areas, and savoring some alone time. Essentially, I'm heading from one extreme to the other. 

I hope your respective summers are off to a splendid start!

Au revoir and salaam,
Kelsey      

1 comment:

  1. What an incredible trip this is already! Your brave and adventurous spirit AMAZE me...

    ReplyDelete