Pages

Monday, July 12, 2010

Final camino days + Spain wins the World Cup!!!

The last few days on the camino to Finisterre have been such a lovely way to wrap up this experience. The scenery has been phenomenal, the people personable, and the accomodations less crowded. I wasn't quite ready to be done with it all yet, so I opted to break the 90km journey into four stages:
Day 1 (Friday): 23 km
Day 2 (Saturday): 35 km
Day 3 (Sunday): 17 km
Day 4 (Monday): 15 km

The last two stages are along the coastline, so I really wanted to savor those days. I'm so glad I did; the towns of Cee, Corcubion, and Fisterre are some of my favorite spots from the whole journey. (But, I'll admit, their proximity to the ocean gives them an unfair advantage.) On the walk to Cee over the high moors, I met two sisters in their 40s from Ireland who were absolutely wonderful. They even gave me their contact information and insisted I come back to Europe sometime soon to come visit them in Ireland. I just may have to take them up on it! Plus, every single Irish man I've met on this trip as been smart, funny, and very attractive. Hmmm...

It was amazing to watch the world cup final here in Spain last night. I wish I could have been amongst the chaos of Madrid or Barcelona, but it was exciting nonetheless. Spaniards are still yelling in the streets and honking their horns this morning at 9:00am. I'm glad they didn't lose--I wonder what the reaction would have been...

Hope you all have a marvelous week!
-Kelsey    

4 comments:

  1. Kick back and relax for a few days, Kels. You've earned a rest. Glad to hear that you are having the time of your life. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. This pilgrimage has been such an extraordinary experience for you! Thank you so much for taking us along for the ride through your blog.

    Enjoy your reunions back in Santiago… and I will see you in less than a week in Madrid!! Can’t wait :) I love you, Roo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's it. We're moving to Ireland to meet our husbands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I´m 100% on board with that idea, Burns. Between the men with accents, the Guiness, and the incredibly kind demenor of the locals, I´m convinced Ireland is heaven at this point.

    ReplyDelete