Pages

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Returning to Madrid: the solo excursion ends, the mother/daughter trip begins

After an evening of very little sleep, I caught the metro to Barajas to meet my momma. Found her at the airport no problem (thank goodness...neither of us has a telephone, so that could have been interesting) and we hopped the metro back into the city center. 

I checked out of my hostel in Sol and into a beautiful hotel off of Gran Via--quite the upgrade. I think my time of travelling like a poor twenty-something just drew to a close!

Since my jet-lagged mom needed a siesta (but only a short one!), the first afternoon was pretty low-key; it was 100 degrees outside, so it was better to avoid the midday heat anyway. That evening we had dinner in Plaza Mayor at a restaurant that would have made my dear brother Cameron weep with joy: Museo del Jamon (Read: Museum of Pig-Related Products). It was simple, unfussy, and positively delicious.

Walking around and seeing the city at night is almost superior to seeing it during daylight; the temperature is 85 instead of 100, no direct sunlight, and all of thr buildings have an ethereal backlit glow about them. Perhaps that's the way to see other European cities in the summertime, too...?

Day two involved more day-time sightseeing, including the absolutely gorgeous Parque del Retiro, which I could only describe as the central park of Madrid. Around 6:00pm Madrid time/9:00am Pacific Standard Time, I had a couple Skype dates with my pops and Cammy--ah the wonders of technology! I still don't know how they are able to provide that service for free, but I certainly appreciate it. 
  
Since we had an early flight to Paris the next day, my mom and I decided to have an early dinner (which in Madrid, means around 9:00pm), opting for a great little menu del dia that included tapas, drinks, a main course, and dessert for 10€ each. I haven't found Spainish food to be particularly amazing, but it is affordable :)

I'm going to miss Spain; my experiences here have catalyzed a tangible "internal growth spurt" for me. With that, I'll be leaving you Espana...for now :)

Love to all,
KW    

No comments:

Post a Comment