Pages

Monday, July 5, 2010

Quick update!

Hello everyone!

The last few days have taken me to cities that don´t boast wifi, so I haven´t been able to update from my ipod, and the swarm of new pilgrims who join the camino in Sarria means that all of the internet cafes are completely occupied. In order to receive a compostela (the certificate signifying completion of the Camino de Santiago), one must complete a minimum of 100km by foot or 200km by bicycle. The influx of people changes the tone of the camino drastically, but I´m trying my best to roll with it. Not everyone has several weeks to dedicate to this beast, and 100km is better than zero km of physical activity in my mind :)

Last night for Independence Day I had cheap beer (albeit Spanish beer) and a hamburger in honor of my home country. An English man at the bar ordered a cup of tea to be ornery, but it was all in good fun. I spent the evening talking with a group of fellow English speakers from Ireland, South Africa, and Germany. I love practicing my Spanish, but it was really nice to have easy conversation in my native tongue with folks my age.

As far as the Camino goes, here are the stats:

Distance Covered thus far: 283.0 km (175.8 miles)

Distance remaining to reach Santiago: 42.3 km (26.3 miles)

I cannot believe how far I´ve pulled my body across this country. It´s been quite the journey! I´m looking forward to having some time to decompress and evaluate it all when I continue out to Finisterre (on the Atlantic) after Santiago; there will be WAY fewer people and after the fanfare of Santiago. I´m looking forward to the experience in town at the end of the Camino with the other pilgrims, though. It´s sure to be unlike anything I´ve ever experienced.

I´ll try to provide a more coherent update in Santiago. In the mean time, sending lots of love back to the US of A for all of the amazing things I take for granted (like stores that are open in the afternoon and customer service...).

Hope you are all happy and well!

Mil abrazos,
Kelsey

3 comments:

  1. nice job kelsey...almost done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsey, you are doing it! Horray!
    I love reading your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there, Roo! If you can take Kara's 2adays and Sudden Impact's killer practices, the Camino has met its match! Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete