Pages

Friday, July 2, 2010

My sorry state in Sarria

To be completely honest, the last few days on the Camino have wiped me out emotionally. I have taken the wrong route at least once every day for the last three days despite consulting my guidebook, asking locals, and clarifying with other pilgrims. Today en route from Samos to Sarria I hit a wall (literally) and had to scale it to get back toward the highway so I at least knew I was pointed in the right direction. Getting lost in the middle of the forest in rural northern Spain is a little unnerving...and it's setting my arrival date in Santiago back a bit. I've covered so many unnecessary, unproductive kilometers. 

Almost every other pilgrim I've talked to has gotten lost since we entered into Galicia, too. (Spain is divided into different regional governments; I was in Castilla y Leon before.) The language is a bit different (Galego instead of Castilian) and the signage is confusing at times.

But really, I think my sour mood stems from the fact that I'm feeling a bit lonely. When I stopped to rest and have coffee this morning, everyone in the cafe halted their conversation and looked me over as if I were invading their space. I know my huge backpack and hiking gear make me stand out in a crowd, but this city is teeming with pilgrims with a similar get-up. The language difference here makes it a bit harder for me to communicate with some folks, too. I guess I just felt extra foreign today...But hey, that's a good lesson too.

118 kilometers (about 73 miles) left to cover until I reach Santiago de Compostela. So far, I've walked about 210 kilometers (130.5 miles) and my body is feeling the repercussions...This is really testing my mental and physical capacity.

One benefit of getting lost and staying in Samos last night was having the opportunity to tour the Benedictine monastery, which is the oldest of it's kind in the western world. Listening to the monks chant last night in the jaw-dropping cathedral was pretty amazing; as their harmonies reasonated throughout the enormous building I drifted off to another place. 

Goal for tomorrow: DO NOT get lost!!!

Have a marvelous weekend, everyone. Eat some veggies for me...they are difficult to find in restaurants here.

Lots of love,
Kels     

3 comments:

  1. 130.5 miles?! That's amazing Kels! You've already come so far, you can do it! When you get frustrated, think of what you've already accomplished and the amazing feeling you'll experience at the end. All the sore muscles will melt away. We miss you! Love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems that every pilgrim gets lost hiking the Camino de Santiago, literally and figuratively. It must be part of the mystery of the journey. I am so proud of you and the determination that you are showing. Hang in there, Roo! Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. U go girl! What an inspiration you are. Keep on truckin' as they say. best, Kristi

    ReplyDelete